Course description: The Standard Mental Health First Aid course will teach you how to provide initial support to other adults who may be experiencing a mental health problem or mental health crisis until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis resolves, using a practical, evidence based Action Plan.
This course is based on guidelines developed through the expert consensus of people with lived experience of mental health problems and professionals. Mental health problems covered:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
Mental health crises covered:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe psychotic states
- Severe effects from alcohol or other drug use
Why attend an MHFA course?
Evaluations consistently show that MHFA training is associated with improved knowledge of mental illnesses, their treatments and appropriate first aid strategies, and confidence in providing first aid to individuals with mental illness. It is also associated with decreased stigma and an increase in help provided.
Who can attend this course? Any adult can attend.
Become an Accredited Mental Health First Aider Demonstrate your mental health first aid skills by becoming an Accredited Mental Health First Aider. Complete an online assessment after the course to become accredited.
Course outcome: Participants will receive a certificate of completion in Workplace Mental Health.
Entry requirements: Minimum age 18 years
- What is stress?
- Stress manifestation in the workplace
- Identifying stressors
- Self – induced stress
- The wrong ways to deal with stress
- The right ways to deal with stress
- How do you react to stress?
- Strategies and tips to break free of stress
- When to seek treatment for yourself or others in the workplace
What to bring:
- You must bring one form of photo identification. Ideally an Australian driver’s licence or your passport.
- Please bring a pen.
- Please arrive 15-minutes before the scheduled start time so that your Catch Training facilitator can check your ID and sign you in.
Duration: This is a 12-hour course which is usually delivered as a 2-day training package (6 hours per day).