Course description: This course provides training for people that are required to control traffic with a stop/ slow bat or a similar control device.
This Training qualification is for employees who manage traffic through and/or past a roadwork site, directing traffic with a stop/slow down bat or similar control device. This course does not qualify a participant to set up or work with traffic control plan. Our price includes the RMS fees payable.
Unit of competency: RIIWHS205D Traffic Controller
- Stop/direct road users using a stop/slow bat and understand stopping sight distances
- Maintain traffic incident reports
- Understand the Traffic Control Guidance Schemes (TCGSs) also known as Traffic Control Plan (TCPs) for the site
- Assess and respond to changes in the environment, for example traffic volumes, weather conditions, road conditions, Work Health and Safety (WHS) and operational requirements
- Carry out risk assessments for personal safety
- Participate in toolbox talks (specific to traffic control)
- Use communication methods and devices
- Conform to traffic control policy and procedures
- White Card [CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the construction industry]
- Current Driver Licence
- All students must provide a Unique Student Identifier (USI) number
- An appropriate understanding of both written and spoken English
Students who successfully complete this nationally recognised training will be awarded:
- A Roads & Maritime Services (RMS) Statement of Completion (SOC) certificate which allows you to work immediately in traffic control. SOC’s are valid for 90 days. You will need to meet the live assessment requirements.
Students who successfully complete the live assessment and third party evidence requirements will be awarded the statement of attainment for the following units of competency:
- RIIWHS201D Work Safely and follow WHS policies and work procedures
- RIICOM201D Communicate in the workplace
- RIIWHS205D Control traffic with a stop/ slow baton
The Statement of Attainment is required for an application that we submit to the RMS for the photo-card licence. The licence is valid for 3 years.
*If you do not already work in the industry and therefore cannot be assessed in your workplace you will need to attend a live practical assessment at a cost o $99.
What to bring:
- You must bring an Australian driver’s licence and evidence of completion of White Card training (Unfortunately you will not be able to sit the course without this).
- Please bring a pen.
- Please arrive 15-minutes before the scheduled start time so that your Catch Training facilitator can check your ID and sign you in.